Film Noir Digest: Wicked As They Come

Wicked As They Come (1956)

Noir City 7: Wicked as They Come Trailer

NOIR CITY 7, the 2009 San Francisco Film Noir Festival, kicks-off this Friday, January 23, at the Castro Theatre. On Saturday night at 7pm, special guest Arlene Dahl will introduce the pulp noirs Wicked as They Come (1956), and Slightly Scarlet (1956), in which she stars.

The Noir City program blurbs on these movies:

Wicked as They Come: Columbia, 94 min. Dir. Ken Hughes.“What she wanted out of life… she got out of men!” Arlene Dahl is a sizzling sensation as Kathleen Allen, a woman who learns early that sex is how she’ll get ahead in the world.

Slightly Scarlet: 1956, RKO, 99 min. Novel-James M. Cain, Dir. Allan Dwan. Arlene Dahl steals the show as sexy kleptomaniac Dorothy Lyons (opposite titian-tressed “sister” Rhonda Fleming) in this eye-popping adaptation of Love’s Lovely Counterfeit. Camera virtuoso John Alton translates noir into lurid, saturated color. It’s 50’s paperback covers come to life!in which she stars.

Seattle International Film Festival French Noir Series

This French Crime Wave 1937-1981 series at the SIFF traces the history of French noir from 1937 to 1981. Full details here.

Friday, January 16—Rififi, 7 p.m. Pepe le Moko, 9:20
Saturday, January 17—Mississippi Mermaid, 2 & 8 p.m.
Sunday, January 18—Le Cercle Rouge, 2:15 & 7 p.m.
Monday, January 19—Garde a vue, 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, January 20—Classe tous risques, 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday, January 21—Elevator to the Gallows, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, January 22—The Sicilian Clan, 7:30 p.m.
Friday, January 23—Bob le Flambeur, 8 p.m.
Saturday, January 24—Diabolique, 1 & 8 p.m.
Sunday, January 25—Coup de Torchon, 2, 4:30 & 7 p.m.
Monday, January 26—Pickpocket, 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, January 27—The Champagne Murders, 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday, January 28—Riptide, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, January 29—La Piscine, 7:30 p.m.
January 30-February 5—Shoot the Piano Player, daily 7:30 p.m., Sat. & Sun., 2:15, 4, & 7:30 p.m.

Classe tous risques

Cornell Woolrich: Dreaming, then dying

Zac O’yeah has written an an interesting feature article on the life and work of noir novelist, Cornell Woolrich, for the Wall Street Journal.

More Film Noir at NY’s Dryden Theatre

New Yorkers can plunge into the murky waters of essential film noir every Thursday in January and February at the Dryden Theatre:

January 8 Murder, My Sweet
January 15 Ride the Pink Horse
January 22 Raw Deal | T-Men
January 29 Road House | The Hitch-Hiker

February 5 In A Lonely Place
February 12 Pitfall | Nightfall
February 19 Double Indemnity
February 26 The Lady from Shanghai

More info.

Deep Discount on Film Noir Classics Collection – Vol. 1 DVD Set

DeepDiscount.com is offering this 5 DVD set for half-price at US$24.95 – that’s a low 5 bucks for each movie!

The pack contains these classic films noir:

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE
GUN CRAZY
MURDER, MY SWEET
OUT OF THE PAST
THE SET-UP

3 thoughts on “Film Noir Digest: Wicked As They Come”

1. Hi! Tony,
    Wow!…Thanks, for “all” the Film Noir news and for keeping this film noir “novice” updated!…”As Usual”

Btw, What happened to your “cool” ANOMOTO widget?
    That I use to feature “prominently” on my blog?
    Can I email you a question about that “Widget?”
    (As the ANOMOTO Guys say,”Take care!”
    dcd 😉

2. Hi Dcd. A pleasure…

I had to remove the animated widget as it was too successful (nearly 90 installs). My hosting provider was ready to suspend my account due to the load on memory and processor resources…

3. Hi! Tony,
    Right you are!…and to be 100% honest with you, I “noticed” how popular “all” of your widgets
    are over there at their website.
    Tony said,”My hosting provider was ready to suspend my account due to the load on memory and processor resources…” Wow!…that is kind of rude, but what can you do about it? I guess that I’am “partially” to “blame” because I “installed” at least 3 of your animated widgets on my blog(s).(I’am so sorry!) 🙂

Take Care!